Santa Cruz artist, writer, and homeschooling mom, blogging to keep my sanity and share my passions; life, motherhood, homeschooling, arts and crafts, fun things to do with kids, great local places, favorite recipes, random thoughts and whatever I'm currently interested in.
Rio Bird Costume, Little Bo Peep, and her Darling Sheep!
I'm a little behind, but here are some pics of costumes I made for Halloween-
This feathery dress, complete with wings, to resemble the girl bird in the Disney movie 'Rio'. I just safety pinned all the boas to a blue dress I made. And the hat was made by hot gluing feathers to a beanie ( I love hot glue!) & bending some black tag board into the shape of a beak. That was the hardest part, I had to glue it and staple it to the hat to make sure it stayed put! My client loved it, especially her 6 year old son!
And my own kids went as Little Bo Peep and her sheep. My son was supposed to be Spider-man until he saw his sister's outfit, and then wanted to be a sheep!
For Bo-Peep, I just put a tutu under a dress I found at Goodwill and hot glued ribbons and lace onto a straw hat I also found there.
For the sheep, I found a man's jacket that looked like fleece at a yard sale and cut the bottom and sleeves off and hemmed them. Then took in the sides to fit my little guy. (Sounds harder than it is, I just cut a bit off the sides & sewed a single seam from the bottom up to the armpit. I didn't finish any edges) Then I used some of the extra fabric I had removed to make a matching hat with black ears. I sewed a little black tale to the bottom of the back as well. Then he wore black pants & long sleeves underneath. Halloween night I even painted him a little black nose. They were so cute, they won a costume contest!
The sheep hat is a little more difficult, but not too hard. It didn't come out perfect, but looked great just the same! I cut a rectangle from the arm of the jacket I had removed & wrapped it around my son's head inside out. Pinned it to fit around with an extra inch for seam allowance. Then drew a line with chalk along the general arch of his head on the side facing me, again with extra for the seam. Along that line & while it was still on his head, and through his squirming & complaining by now, I pinned it together (from the front to the part wrapped around back of his head). Then took it off and pinned a small piece of black fabric for ears inside either side of the hat, facing the inside (so that when turned right side out, they'd stick out) and sewed along the line. Again, it wasn't perfect, I had to sew over part of the arch to make it more rounded, and the ears were slightly uneven, but it was the night before he needed to wear it so I was rushing, and he was thrilled with it just the same! If you would like more details or just details that actually make sense, feel free to contact me!